Friday, May 6, 2011

The Egg Baby Diaries

For the first time ever, I assigned my students a project.  For 3 days, each students was the proud mother/father of a hard boiled egg.  The assignment was to care for the egg and make sure that it was unharmed for those days, and take it everywhere with them.

Some students came prepared on the day they were to recieve the eggs with baskets and pouches to keep the eggs in.  Some carried the eggs around gingerly for the entire time, making sure not to crack it.  Some even went so far as to "bathe" the egg with hand sanitizer. And then there was this:

Mrs. Sacamano: Mrs. Lance, (holding up a ziploc bag with a smashed egg) I took up Cameron's egg. Do you need it back to have proof of what kind of parent he is?
Me: No.  Thank you for taking it from him.  Sorry for the interruption.  What in the world did he do to it?
Mrs. Sacamano: Oh, he was eating it!!!!!!!
*** Then I called his mom to warn her that me might be sick for the next couple of days, and to explain to her what had happened.

Madison: (with a very sad, face) Look at my egg babies (she had twins).
Me: (looking into a brown paper bag filled with crushed eggshells) Oh my goodness, Madison, What happened?
Madison: I set their bag on my desk and they rolled out and hit the floor and cracked.
Me: Where's the rest of them?
Madison: I had to throw the insides away when I creammated them.
***BWAhahahaha

Ms. Walton: Mrs. Lance, I don't think some of your students are going to be very good parents.  I had to tell 2 girls that they could not lock their babies up in their lockers.

Mrs. Rivera: I was watching those egg babies.  I told all my students that I'm with the Department of Family and Egg services, and I WILL place their babies in foster care if they don't take better care of them.

Mrs. Bell: One of your girls in my class gave her egg to a babysitter first thing this morning.  I asked her why she needed a babysitter, and she said she just didn't want to take care of it.   Then I had to have a little talk with her.

Overall, this assignment was a blast.  It was great to have other teachers so willing to help, and nice to see the students who took it seriously really put forth a sincere effort. I don't know if I'll do it again, but it was fun :)



No comments:

Post a Comment