Sunday, October 9, 2011

That's why I'm Jessica Raye and not Rachael Ray

In honor of the lovely fall weather, and my sister's bonfire, I decided to try out some of Rachael Ray's soups.  Well, actually, one soup, Roasted Root Vegetable Soup.  It had been a while since I saw the episode where she made it, so I wasn't quite sure on the ingredients at the store.  I got Carrots, Parsnips, and a Butternut Squash. Guess I should have known that Butternut Squash wasn't a root vegetable.  When I looked up the recipe, I saw that it was supposed to be sweet potatoes, and not butternut squash. Well... I decided to use regular potatoes instead of sweet potatoes in that soup, then make butternut squash soup separately.

Well, everything was going great.  I got the root veggies cut up and in the oven to roast, then started on the butternut squash.  So I follow the directions on both, continuing to feel like a chef as I have the 2 soups going using ingredients I'd never used before. Then I get to the part where you add tobasco sauce to the vegetable soup, and put it in the WRONG SOUP!!! and if you've had butternut squash, you know it has a sort of sweet flavor.  I was supposed to put honey in that one.... oooops! It actually wasn't too bad after I added a lot of honey, but I definitnely want to try it again.  The vegetable soup was pretty good too.  It probably would have been really good if I'd added the tobasco, but after I put so much in the other soup, I couldn't put it in that one too.

Oh well... maybe the second time will be the charm :-)

Here's the bon fire :)

No comments:

Post a Comment